Spice marinated shrimp, a crunchy slaw and a sweet and creamy mango crema to top it all off – these jerk spiced shrimp tacos are so good (& easy too!).
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
There are some recipes that I think about and make within a day or two. Others it can be weeks or more, for various reasons. Those ones that take longer I always worry they won’t be worth the wait.
I didn’t need to worry with these jerk spiced shrimp tacos: we instantly loved them.And can’t wait to have them again!
You might have noticed we have been getting into tacos a bit recently. I think it’s that we all love the combination of flavors, the fact they are easy to make a bit spicier for us (eg with tomatillo salsa verde or mango habanero sauce) and they’re generally easy to make.
When I saw this month’s Fish Friday Foodies’s theme was fish or seafood sandwiches, I first remembered the soft shell crab sandwich I made last year. But then my mind quickly drifted to tacos.
I decided to mix things up a bit and came up with these jerk spiced shrimp tacos that use the flavors from another summer favorite, Jamaican jerk chicken. And they worked perfectly.
How to make jerk spiced shrimp tacos
Once you’ve put together the marinade mixture, add the shrimp and leave them to take on the lime and spices. The carrot and red cabbage slaw is super easy to mix up, as is the mango crema. They both compliment the shrimp so well, you really don’t want to skip either of them. Then the shrimp take just a couple minutes to cook, put it together and enjoy.
The combination of flavors in the shrimp, along with the crunchy, gently citrus slaw and the sweet, creamy mango crema all go so well together. And these jerk spiced shrimp tacos are easy to make, too. In other words, you have so may reasons to make them.
Like tacos? Try these!
Jerk spiced shrimp tacos
- 1 tsp garlic pureed, approx 1 lg clove
- 1 tsp pureed ginger
- 1 tbsp grated onion
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lime juice and zest
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or half scotch bonnet pepper for hot version)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp 225g prawns (deveigned, shelled weight)
- 1/2 cup carrot 1 med carrot, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup red cabbage 2oz/55g, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro coriander, leaves from approx 5-6 stems
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp pureed mango
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 tortillas corn or wheat taco size, soft
- Mix together all of the marinade ingredients (garlic, ginger, onion, allspice, thyme, soy sauce, honey, lime, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and salt) in a small container or zip-top freezer bag. Add the shrimp and toss so they are coated. Refrigerate to marinade for approx 2hrs.
- Shortly before ready to cook, mix together the slaw ingredients (grated carrot, shredded cabbage, cilantro and lime) and set aside. Mash/puree the mango crema ingredients (mango, sour cream and lime) and set aside as well.
- Warm either a grill or grill pan to cook the shrimp. Shake any excess marinade off the shrimp then grill just a minute or two either side until they are opaque and cooked through.
- Put together your tacos - a spoonful of slaw, topped with some shrimp and a drizzle of mango crema. Enjoy!
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
See all the other fish and seafood sandwich ideas being shared today:
Remember to pin for later!