There’s more than just mushrooms in these mushroom quesedillas but they’re still so easy to make and packed with flavor. A delicious snack or light lunch.
Many years ago now, I went to Mexico as a volunteer in a center that hosted people from around the world on residential programs. I helped in a range of capacities, from supporting the activity program to helping the kitchen staff. It was definitely an experience that has stuck with me.
As with many things, part of what I remember most was the food. Especially since Mexican food was rare in Scotland at the time, there was so much to try. In fairness, much of the food in the center was a bit dumbed down or fusion to allow for the fact many of the visitors were teens, but the chicken flautas were pretty great, as were the tamales.
On the odd days off between sessions, we fended for ourselves a bit more. We would often try places nearby for dinner, which is when I discovered the delights of dishes like chicken mole, pork carnitas tacos with salsa verde and more. For lunch, we’d either eat out if we were in town or make it ourselves at the center. One of the things I learned to make was quesedillas as a great easy lunch or snack.
In some ways, given I already cooked pretty well it seems a little odd to only be learning something so simple, but as I say it wasn’t a cuisine I’d grown up knowing. But I have made up for it since, even if somehow I haven’t made quesedillas for a while. That might have to change, though, now I have made these.
How to make these mushroom quesedillas
These come together in no time at all:
- soften the onion;
- add the mushroom and soften;
- add the spinach, black beans and seasoning and stir to wilt the spinach;
- remove everything from the pan;
- add the tortilla, warm then turn;
- sprinkle cheese over tortilla;
- top one half with the mushroom filling;
- fold over, press together and serve.
It might seem like a few steps, but they are all so easy and don’t take long. The recipe here makes enough filling for 4 quesedillas, as you don’t need that much per tortilla, but you can easily make a larger quantity of filling and make more or keep some back for another time. Any less than half, though, is hard to cook.
These mushroom quesedillas might not be an entirely traditional filling, but it’s most definitely delicious and one I for one will be making again soon. Easy, flavorful and ‘meaty’ while being vegetarian. Do give it a try soon!
Try these other mushroom recipes:
- Mushroom galette
- Baked portobello mushrooms
- Japanese mushroom rice
- Mushroom stroganoff
- Plus get more vegetarian meals in the archives.
- 1/2 onion
- 160 g portobello mushroom 1 large
- 30 g spinach 1 cup, packed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp black beans 1/4 cup
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 95 g grated cheddar 1 cup
- 4 tortillas corn or wheat
- Dice the onion into a small dice and dice the mushrooms (I often cut in roughly 1/4in slices then cut from there). Remove any tough stems from the spinach and break up larger leaves.
- Warm the oil in a small-medium skillet over a medium heat and fry the onion until it softens, a couple minutes. Add the mushrooms, turning up the heat if needed so any liquid evaporates as they cook.
- Once the mushrooms have softened, add the spinach, black beans, cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring, a minute until the spinach wilts. Remove everything from the pan onto a plate.
- Warm one tortilla at a time in the pan, turn over after a minute then sprinkle over 1/4 cup of cheese. Put 1/4 of the mushroom mixture on one half of the tortilla, fold it over and cook briefly to get a slight crisp on the outside, or at least just to have the cheese fully softened. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and filing.
See all the other recipes being shared for today’s mushroom-themed Foodie Extravaganza:
- Chicken & Mushroom Vegetable Medley by Reviews, Chews & How-Tos
- Chicken and Mushroom Puff Pastry Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Mushroom, Sausage, and Spinach Strata by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mushrooms In Green Herb Sauce by Sneha’s Recipe
- Portabella Mushroom Cheesesteak Sandwich by Simple and Savory
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Steak with Porcini Mushroom Gravy by Palatable Pastime
Remember to pin for later!