This spicy sausage pasta skillet is made in 1 pan with 7 ingredients. There’s so much flavor, it’s hearty and sure to please all.
I know it may seem odd to many American’s, but I wasn’t brought up with ‘Italian sausage’, mild, spicy or otherwise. Sausages in the UK are a bit of a different breed (and I admit I miss them) – the named ones are more like ‘Cumberland’ or ‘Toulouse’ then there’s the likes of ones with apple, leek or other such things. We get sausages regularly in our meat box, though, and I’ve got to like many of them.
However hot Italian sausages, to me, are not really one to eat just as they are with some sides, as we would with most others. Instead, I’ve tended to break it up and use it with pasta. It’s something that works so well as there’s so much flavor in there already and, being Italian seasoning, pasta is a natural pairing. When today’s Sunday Supper theme of skillet meals was announced I knew I had to play around with previous versions to make this spicy sausage pasta skillet, and it was an instant hit. So much flavor, so easy with only one pan and 7 ingredients, it will soon be a regular on your table.
Pasta is something that I think is so easy to like, although it wasn’t something we had much when I was a child. My mum was never that much of a fan, finding pasta a bit boring although she did now and again make it with pesto and lots of additions.
For me, though, it’s a definite fallback meal and I still make my own pesto as our we-have-nothing-to-eat-what-shall-we-have meal. I sometimes plan it a little more for other pasta dishes based on things we have, such as if we have Italian sausages a version of this spicy sausage pasta skillet is on the menu. Now I have made this version, though, I think there’s no way I’ll go back to anything else as this is both so easy and tasty.
How it’s made
All you need to do is cook the onion a little, add some peppers, then the broken up sausage followed by the pasta, tomatoes and water. Leave it to simmer so that the pasta cooks and the sauce thickens. Add a little parmesan, then serve it up. There’s very little work, only one pan and it only takes about half an hour to make. Despite the fact there aren’t too many ingredients, it’s so full of flavor due to the seasonings in the sausages. Plus, it’s a great way to make sausages go further or please the carnivores in the family with a pasta dish.
Of course, if you aren’t a fan of spicy flavors, use a milder sausage instead but I do recommend the hot Italian if you like even just a little chili as the pasta and sauce help balance out the spiciness without losing the flavor.
This spicy sausage pasta skillet makes a great meal any day of the week, with plenty of flavor and limited effort or clean up. In other words, all the best qualities you could look for. Give it a try and you’ll see what I mean.
Spicy sausage pasta skillet
This spicy sausage pasta skillet is made in 1 pan with 7 ingredients. There's so much flavor, it's hearty and sure to please all.
- 1 onion large
- 1 red pepper
- 1 lb hot Italian sausages 450g (or other flavorful sausage)
- 1 lb pasta 450g
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes 240ml
- 1 cup water 240ml (or more if needed)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt 4tbsp
- 1/4 cup parmesan 10g, grated
Dice the onion and pepper. Heat a little olive oil in a skillet/frying pan and add the onion. Cook, stirring now and then, for around 5min until it is softening but not burning - add a little more oil if needed. Add the pepper and cook another couple minutes.
Meanwhile remove the casing from the sausages. Add it to the pan, breaking it up as you go with a wooden spoon. Stir regularly so the sausage browns all over.
Add the pasta, tomatoes and water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer then leave to cook until the pasta has cooked (around 8min, depending on your pasta).
Once the pasta has cooked, stir in the yogurt and parmesan, mix in well then serve with a little more parmesan on top.
Try these other easy pasta dishes:
See all the other easy skillet recipes being shared today:
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake