This easy asparagus salad is full of the tastes of spring, with asparagus, pea shoots and radishes topped off with a bright dressing and crisp pancetta. It’s perfect as a side or appetizer for a spring time meal.
I don’t know about where you are, but it’s finally starting to feel a bit more spring-like here. After our three Nor’easter storms in just over a fortnight in March, it couldn’t come soon enough. Now, though, I am definitely feeling more of a spring vibe.
Local asparagus season isn’t quite here yet, but I’m a little impatient and so looked further afield. I couldn’t wait to enjoy it in things like our favorite roasted asparagus with parmesan and my spring salad. When I got some pea shoots recently they felt like the perfect base for this tasty salad.
It feels strange to me saying spring is almost here at this time of year. Being brought up in the UK, the seasons seem to be that bit earlier so still having snow at the end of March and no spring flowers is a little weird. Although the UK, too, has had snow this last month so things are definitely a bit all over the place. We do enjoy snow, but it feels winter lasts month and spring is only a few weeks which is a shame.
Whether you are truly in spring, or needing a bit of help, this asparagus salad will have you in the mood. It’s really easy to make with just a few minutes and couple steps. You just steam the asparagus, crisp up the pancetta, slice the radishes then put it all together. It’s a lovely combination of crispiness and fresh flavors. Being relatively simple, it works well with a range of mains as well.
So whether you need an excuse or not, try this tasty asparagus salad with pea shoots and pancetta soon. It’s easy, tasty and just the bright freshness you need.
Asparagus salad with pea shoots and pancetta
- 12 stems asparagus
- 4 radishes
- 2 oz pea shoots 60g
- 2 tbsp mint approx
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 oz pancetta cubes 60g
- Snap the ends off the asparagus as low as it will naturally break then steam until just tender, around 5-10 minutes depending on thickness. Once cooked, remove from water/steamer and either run under cold water or place in a bowl with cold water and a little ice to stop them cooking further.
- While asparagus is cooking, thinly slice the radishes. Divide the pea shoots between plates and lay the sliced radish over the top. Note you might want to cut the pea shoots first if they are long. Thinly slice the mint leaves if larger (or leave whole if small).
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Warm a small skillet over a medium heat and add the pancetta. Cook, turning once or twice, until gently crisp. Drain and set aside on some kitchen towel to drain a little more.
- Arrange the asparagus over the pea shoots, scatter over the mint and pancetta then drizzle over the dressing and serve.
Try these other tasty ways with asparagus:
Try these other Easter sides for today’s Sunday Supper:
Enticingly Easy Sides
- Cauliflower Cheese Casserole by Sunday Supper
- Cheesy Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Oven-Baked Cheesy Potatoes by My Fearless Kitchen
- Mushroom Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Nana’s Corn Pudding by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan by Cooking Chat
- Buttered Rosemary Dinner Rolls by From the Bookshelf
- Skillet Green Beans with Citrus by Gourmet Everyday
- Tallow Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Vegan and Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Scrumptious Salad Sides
- Asparagus Salad with Pea Shoots and Pancetta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Spinach Salad with Bacon, Eggs and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mustard and Egg Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Pickled Beet Salad with Arugula and Feta by Delaware Girl Eats
- Springtime Pasta Salad by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Remember to pin for later!