This black bean sweet potato salad is bright, hearty without being heavy, and with delicious fresh flavors. It’s perfect for lunch, or as a side and travels well, too.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
It’s funny, for someone who would claim to not be that much of a salad person, I often find it funny how many salad recipes I have posted here. I imagine there’s something inside me that is trying to convince myself, and others, that salads can actually be tasty and interesting.
And this salad is packed with delicious, fresh flavor! It’s as bright in your mouth as the colors on your plate. Plus, it’s a great way to use up some leftover roasted sweet potatoes or the end of a can of black beans.
I think I also should clarify my salad thing, too. It’s more I’m not really a fan of salads that are just some lettuce with tomato and cucumber and an insipid dressing. I find that so totally uninspiring. Arugula would nearly always be my go-to green to add some tasty flavor.
This salad has some cilantro for fresh flavor and color, as well as a lovely balance of textures, from the smooth roasted sweet potato to the crunchy red pepper. Then there are the added bonuses that it’s really easy to make, is great for preparing ahead and is full of healthy ingredients, too. Not to mention it transports well and is vegan.
A dressing to match the salad
I for one thing the dressing can be just as important as the salad ingredients themselves. For this sweet potato salad, I felt it needed a fresh and flavorful dressing to bring it all together. The lime adds that needed bright flavor that compliments the other ingredients perfectly, with just enough honey to save it being too sharp.
I can understand, you might wonder about the raw garlic. But honestly, it’s not too much when combined with everything else. The sweet potato and beans in particular can really absorb flavors and it works well.
This black bean sweet potato salad is easy to make, and a delicious bowl full of fresh flavors. It’s packed with good-for-you ingredients, is perfect to take in your lunchbox and is also an ideal way to use up some leftovers. All round, this is one salad you want to be enjoying soon.
Try these other lunch salads:
- Raw beet quinoa salad
- Greek-style cauliflower rice salad
- Butternut squash wild rice salad
- Plus get more lunch recipes in the archives.
Black bean sweet potato salad
- 10 oz sweet potato 285g, roasted
- 1/2 cup black beans 82g (cooked bean weight)
- 1/4 cup red onion approx 1/4 an onion (finely diced volume)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro a small handful, approx 15g coriander
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey (or maple syrup to be fully vegan)
- 1/2 clove garlic crushed
- If the sweet potatoes are not already roasted (eg leftover), peel and cut the sweet potatoes in to even bite-sized pieces and drizzle with a little olive oil to lightly coat. Roast at around 400F/200C for approx 30 minutes, until just starting to brown on the edges. Allow to cool (can be made ahead).
- Finely dice the red onion, cut the pepper into bite-sized pieces and chop the cilantro. Put all in a bowl with the cooled sweet potatoes and black beans.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk or shake together the oil, lime, honey and garlic for the dressing. Drizzle over the salad, gently toss together to mix and serve or store, refrigerated, until needed.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
Remember to pin for later!