A cold day needs a warming bowl of soup, and this mushroom fennel soup is easy, comforting and full of great ingredients.
There’s something about the weather this time of year that definitely makes you crave soup. It’s partly the cold, of course, but also the light I suspect (or lack of it). For me, I particularly like blended soups when I’m not feeling so good – apart from Scotch broth, that is. This mushroom fennel soup has a combination that is just what I need sometimes. It has the smooth, creaminess of mushroom soup with the fragrant anise of fennel and is really quick and easy to make. Like I say, just what you need this time of year.
How it’s made
This soup could hardly be easier to make as all you do is soften the fennel and let it brown slightly. Add the mushrooms and soften them too. Add the stock and cook it a few more minutes before pureeing. It’s very much what you would expect flavor-wise given it’s called mushroom fennel soup, and it goes down so well.
This mushroom fennel soup makes a hearty and comforting bowl on a cold day, that’s also really good for you too. It has a creaminess to it, despite having no cream. In fact it’s also vegan and gluten free. Have it for lunch on a cold day, have it when you are not feeling so good. Just give it a try and enjoy.
An easy, tasty and comforting soup perfect for a cold day.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8 oz fennel 250g
- 6 1/2 oz mushrooms 190g
- 1 1/4 cups stock 300ml
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 dash cayenne to top
Dice the fennel and mushrooms then warm the oil in a medium-sized pot over a medium heat.
Add the fennel and cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring now and then, until the fennel starts to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Add the stock, bring to a simmer, cover and simmer around 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat, blend then add the coconut milk and mix through. Serve with a dash of cayenne on top.
Try these other tasty soups:
See all the other soups and stews being shared today:
- “Make it Your Own” Soup Bar by The Freshman Cook
- Baked Potato Soup by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup by Our Good Life
- Chicken and Dumplings by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Pies and Plots
- Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Habitant Pea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup by Sunday Supper Movement
- Meatball and Orzo Soup by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Milchnudeln (German Milk Noodles) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Mushroom Fennel Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta Fagioli Soup by Soulfully Made
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili by Cricket’s Confections
- Crock Pot Chicken Posole by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Smoky Chicken-Potato Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Brazilian Seafood Stew with Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard by Cooking Chat
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Remember to pin for later!