This no churn pumpkin ice cream is a wonderful combination of real pumpkin, a little warm spice and a wonderfully creamy base. It's really easy to make and perfect for those warmer fall days, or any excuse.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
In general, I'll admit I'm not one to jump on everything pumpkin in the usual sense. I do love pumpkin, but particularly in savory dishes like pumpkin ravioli or pumpkin risotto. Many sweet pumpkin treats in cafes etc I find too sweet for my taste.
But there are a few things I find exceptions for, and this ice cream is definitely one of them. It's creamy and has a wonderful flavor - just enough pumpkin and and a gentle spice.
When I first said I had been making pumpkin ice cream, my kids were both a little bit skeptical. They love pumpkin pie, but need reminded of it each year, and we haven't got there yet. But, the idea of ice cream won them over to enough to at least try it.
It clearly went down well, as I got lots of yumming noises, and soon after, requests for more.
Making no churn ice creams
If you don't have an ice cream maker then you have a few options on no churn versions. You can take a regular recipe and mix up the mixture at regular intervals as it freezes, but there's always the risk of ice crystals. That's not necessarily bad, but it may not be the smooth mixture you were hoping for.
This recipe uses a pretty common no churn ice cream base of sweetened condensed milk and whipped cream which I have used before in my no churn roasted strawberry ice cream. The beauty of this base is it's incredibly easy, doesn't need additional sweetener and the end result is sweet, creamy and smooth.
Since the sugar is already in the sweetened milk and the air is in the cream, you don't get crystals. At worst, you get bits of frozen cream that didn't quite mix through.
For this autumnal flavor, you then add in pumpkin puree and a few classic seasonal spices. I've used cinnamon and a little ginger and cloves, but you can adjust this to taste. Cardamon, allspice and nutmeg would all be good, though in small amounts.
I also plan to try it with a little rum or bourbon in there, as I think they'd add a great little something. My challenge is always keeping things away form my ever-present taste testers so that one might have to wait until I ever have them not around.
This no churn pumpkin ice cream was one we all really enjoyed. So much so, my youngest even requested it for his birthday a week or two after I first made it. It's smooth, creamy, gently spiced but not so much that you can't pick out the pumpkin too. In the best possible way that is. Try it yourself, and enjoy.
Try these other ice cream flavors:
- Roasted banana ice cream
- Grilled pineapple ice cream
- Persimmon ginger sorbet
- Plus get more dessert recipes and fall recipes in the archives.
No churn pumpkin ice cream
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk 200g
- 6 tbsp pumpkin puree 108g
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup heavy cream 240ml double cream
- Place the condensed milk, pumpkin and spices in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Separately, whip the cream until it forms medium-firm peaks.
- Carefully fold the pumpkin mixture into the cream so that it is combined but without loosing too much air.
- Pour the mixture into a plastic container or loaf tin, cover and transfer to the freezer. Leave to freeze at least 4 hours for soft-serve or ideally overnight.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Sharing as part of #Pumpkinweek - see all the other pumpkin recipes being shared today:
- Iced Pumpkin Pie Drink by Palatable Pastime
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins by The Mandatory Mooch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins by Our Sutton Place
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pull Apart Bread by Making Miracles
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake by Blogghetti
- Baked Pumpkin Goat Cheese Alfredo Pasta with Bacon by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pumpkin Bacon Mac and Cheese by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin Corn Chowder by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake by Big Bear's Wife
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Layer Cake by Love & Confections
- Vegan Pumpkin Spiced Muffins by Happily Curated Chaos