This grilled pineapple ice cream is easy to make and deliciously fresh and creamy. An immediate hit in our house, it's perfect to enjoy on a warm day.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Between our recent trip to Italy, where we had gelato pretty much every day, and the crazy warm weather we've been having now we are back, I've been in the mood for ice cream more and more recently.
After a couple attempts, I came up with this grilled pineapple version and it's such a great first ice cream to share. It has a lovely fresh pineapple flavor but is also smooth and creamy, plus it's easy too.
Why grilled pineapple?
You might wonder why I bothered to grill the pineapple. Well, grilling brings out the flavor and natural sweetness. It's great as a dessert straight off the grill (and I will share a simple recipe soon!), but also as a base for ice cream where the flavor can get a little lost otherwise.
You can skip the grilling, but if you're anything like me, you will likely have the grill on a lot anyway, so it's not such a big hassle to put on a bit of pineapple as well. I then froze them after they cooled, partly as it was as easy as putting in the fridge, but it also means (in my humble opinion at least):
- you can then make this whenever you want;
- it helps cool the mixture which I think helps it freeze more evenly;
- I think (though not tested) it leads to a smoother ice cream than non-frozen chunks.
How to make this pineapple ice cream
This ice cream takes slightly longer than some since the pineapple is grilled ahead of time, but after that it comes together very easily. You simply freeze the pineapple after it has cooked and cooled, then when it's frozen put everything in the blender. I then use my single serve Zoku Ice Cream Maker which works really well, but you could also just put the mixture in a container and freeze, stirring now and then, or use an ice cream maker.
I haven't included any egg yolks and made a custard, as some recipes do for richness, as I think it works fine without. It's also lower in sugar than many ice creams since pineapple has a lot of natural sweetness, especially when grilled. If you prefer a sweeter ice cream, you might want to add a bit more.
This grilled pineapple ice cream is delicately flavored, gently sweet and wonderfully creamy and refreshing. It disappeared in no time in our house (which was just as well as it was 90 degrees and we don't have air conditioning in most of the house, hence the melting ice cream in the photos!) I know we'll be having it again soon - give it a try and enjoy!
Looking for more frozen treats? Here are some favorites:
- No churn roasted strawberry ice cream
- Cherry strawberry frozen yogurt
- Roasted banana ice cream
- Avocado paletas (ice pops)
- Plus get more dessert recipes in the archives.
Grilled pineapple ice cream
- 110 g fresh pineapple (weight without skin, approx 1 1 in slice, ¾ cup when chopped)
- ½ cup heavy cream 120 ml double cream
- ½ cup milk 120 ml
- 2 tablespoon sugar
Ahead of time
- Grill the peeled slice of pineapple for approximately 4 minutes a side until it shows light grill marks and softens. Set aside to cool then put in a freezer bag and freeze (you can chop before freezing)
When ready to make
- Put the pineapple, in chunks, in a blender along with the cream, milk and sugar. Blend for a couple minutes until smooth. Transfer to an ice cream maker and follow instructions to chill, or put in a container and transfer to the freezer, stirring after each 30 minutes until frozen then serve.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
It's ice cream month, so we're sharing lots of tasty ideas to help you enjoy it (as if you needed an excuse) - see all the recipes:
- Blueberry Ginger Ice Cream Floats by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bread Ice Cream Sundaes by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Redhead Baker
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches by Tip Garden
- No Churn Chocolate Toffee Ice Cream by Amy's Cooking Adventure
- No Churn Coffee Caramel Crunch Ice Cream by Hezzi-D'sBooks and Cooks
- No Churn Watermelon Swirl Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Purple Haze Jam Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Watermelon-Fennel Ice Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Triple Chocolate Ricotta Ice Cream by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vietnamese Coffee Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Books n' Cooks