This roasted cauliflower and eggplant salad makes a versatile accompaniment to many meals. Great roasted veg flavor with a fresh herby, citrus dressing - it's bright and comforting at the same time.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I have always enjoyed roasted vegetables, but for whatever reason I always used to associate roasting more with root vegetables rather than anything else. More recently, though, I've been roasting a much broader range (as well as more fruit like strawberries and grapes) and loving the results. I'm beginning to think roasting makes almost anything taste better.
My parents were visiting recently and while many of our meals were treating them to some of our recent favorites (like the Sicilian stuffed squid, youvetsi and romesco de peix), I also tried a couple new things.
This roasted vegetable salad/side dish along with some roasted salmon and potatoes was one of them and it was a meal we all enjoyed. I'm sure the wonderfully fresh fish helped, but this was also a great side that worked really well with everything else we had and would be great with other things too.
How to make this roasted cauliflower and eggplant salad
Whether you call this dish a salad or something else I'm not sure, but either way it's easy to make and really tasty. All you need to do is chop up and roast the vegetables with some olive oil, salt and pepper.
While they are roasting, you mix up the dressing by chopping the herbs and whisking together the lemon juice, oil and mustard. Once the vegetables are done, you toss them in the dressing and that's it.
How should you serve this dish?
It's a dish that works well warm, at room temperature or cold, depending on what suits the rest of your meal. As I said we had it with some salmon and roast potatoes and it's certainly a good accompaniment to fish.
But it would also work with other things like grilled meats, sausages etc as well as alongside rice or other grains as more of a main, I think, too.
As well as tasting great, another of the great things about this roasted cauliflower and eggplant salad is you can roast the vegetables ahead of time and keep them until you are ready to use them. Just make up the herby dressing at the time so you enjoy the herbs at their freshest.
It's a versatile dish, that gives you the best of both worlds - the depth of flavor roasting brings along with the bright freshness of herbs and citrus. Add in that it's easy and healthy, and you have a side that you definitely need to be making soon.
Try these other tasty roast vegetable sides:
- Maple-roasted buttercup squash
- Dauphinoise potatoes
- Hasselback sweet potatoes
- Plus get many more sides dishes in the archives.
Roasted cauliflower and eggplant salad
- 11 oz eggplant 310g aubergine
- 12 oz cauliflower 340g, florets only
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoon parsley 10g, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon tarragon 7g, roughly chopped, leaves only
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Dice the eggplant into roughly ¾in/2cm dice and cut any larger cauliflower florets to give you roughly the same sized pieces. Toss both in the oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting dish so you have all in one layer, as far as possible.
- Roast the vegetables for approx 20 minutes until tender.
- You can cool the vegetables and store in the refrigerator for a day or two. If using immediately, while they are roasting chop the herbs and blend with the lemon juice, oil and mustard. Pour over the roast vegetables and serve - warm, room temp and cold all work.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Remember to pin for later!