These burgers are loaded with all kinds of deliciousness: a parmesan burger, grilled asparagus, bacon and parmesan crisps. Delicious and fancy-feeling at the same time!
This post is part of a giveaway hosted by GirlCarnivore; opinions remain my own. This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I know for many, us included, Memorial Day is a great excuse to fire up the grill with friends and/or family. We try to keep things relatively easy with some simple sides like Mexican street corn salad and a few things to go on the grill. We try to change things up, but there is always a burger in there somewhere.
Unlike fall, when we might feel more in the mood for maple turkey burgers, this time of year I’ll usually go a little more traditional or spring-like. Since we love roasted asparagus with parmesan, and asparagus also goes with bacon, it wasn’t much of a jump to create this asparagus parmesan burger with parmesan crisps.
These burgers might not have cheese in the usual sense, but there’s parmesan mixed into the burger and the mayo, along with a crunchy parmesan crisp on top. And it’s all so good.
What are parmesan crisps?
Parmesan crisps are basically little stacks of parmesan melted down to form a thin, crisp chip. They’re almost like a savory florentine cookie and make a great snack.
I’ve based the parmesan crisp on Giada’s recipe on the Food Network site, and while I haven’t added extra in the recipe, I’d suggest making a few extra parmesan crisps as believe me, you’ll want some to snack on.
And by the way, if you have a window on your oven, watch them cook. I think it’s kind of fascinating to watch the stacks of parmesan melt down to a thin, delicate layer.
Don’t worry that they are soft when you take them out of the oven – they firm up quickly as they cool. I recommend using a silicone baking mat so they are easy to peel off and use.
How to Make an Asparagus Parmesan Burger with Parmesan Crisps
This asparagus parmesan burger isn’t difficult to make, but there are a few components. Don’t be put off, however, as you can make some ahead. My suggested way to make these easy:
- Make the Parmesan crisps, bacon and Parmesan mayo ahead of time.
- Cook the bacon in the oven at the same time as the Parmesan crisps.
- Grill the burger and put the asparagus on as you flip the burger.
- Warm the bacon to the side of the grill as you toast the buns shortly before serving.
Memorial Day for me wouldn’t be quite the same without grilling, and front and center on the grill needs to be a burger (I imagine all my burger-sharing blogger friends below would agree). So join me, and change things up, go spring-like, and give this delicious asparagus parmesan burger a try!
Looking for more burger ideas? Try these:
- Lamb kofte burger
- Maple turkey burger with apple and bacon
- Spinach feta salmon burger
- Plus get more summer recipes, from grilling to sides and more in the archives.
Asparagus parmesan burger with parmesan crisps
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 tsp salt approx
- 1/4 tsp pepper approx
- 1/4 tsp garlic granules approx
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
toppings made ahead
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan 4 tbsp, or a little more
- 4 slices smoked bacon
rest of burger
- 12 stems asparagus
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise 4 tbsp
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 4 burger rolls
- Mix together the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic and parmesan so well combined. Divide into 4 and form into slightly flattened round patties. Put on a plate and chill at least while preparing rest, but can also be done day before - just cover if longer than few mins.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Press some parmesan into a round 1 tbsp measure and then tip onto a silicon baking mat on top of a baking sheet. Gently press it down. Repeat to make 4 round piles then bake for around 3-5 minutes until golden then set aside to cool before lifting from mat.
- At the same time, I'd suggest you cook the bacon in the oven, then once done, set it aside for later (you can warm at side of grill). Alternatively, you can cook on the grill with burgers but you will need to watch very closely.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill then cook the burgers to your preferred level of doneness, turning after the first side no longer sticks.
- After you turn the burgers, add the asparagus to the grill and cook turning once or twice until lightly charred and just tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the 2 tbsp parmesan into the mayonnaise. Split the burger rolls, lightly toast the cut side then spread with the parmesan mayo.
- Top the bottom of the rolls each with a burger, bacon (split in two), 3 stems of asparagus (trimmed to be just a little longer than bun is wide - you can add in ends too if they'll fit) and a parmesan crisp.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
I’m excited to be sharing this post as part of #Burgermonth – head over to burgermonth for a full links to all the burgers.
Plus follow #burgermonth all of May to see all the burger ideas from the following participants:
🍔 Girl Carnivore 🍔 A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures 🍔 A Simple Pantry 🍔 Abra’s Kitchen 🍔 AcadiaTwo’s Kitchen Antics 🍔 An Affair from the Heart 🍔 Bakersbeans 🍔 Betsi’s World 🍔Caroline’s Cooking 🍔 Cindy’s Recipes and Writings 🍔 City Living Boston 🍔 Cluttercafe 🍔 Cooking With Carlee 🍔 Convos with Karen 🍔Daily Dish Recipes 🍔 Dance Around The Kitchen 🍔 Dixie Chik Cooks 🍔 Dizzy Busy and Hungry 🍔 Doodlecraft 🍔 Everyday Eileen 🍔 Family Around the Table 🍔 Family Food on the Table 🍔 Family Spice 🍔Farmwife Feeds 🍔Food Above Gold 🍔 For the Love of Food 🍔 Grillax.com 🍔 Grilling Montana 🍔 Grumpy’s Honeybunch 🍔 Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks 🍔 Honeybunch Hunts 🍔 HORNS BBQ 🍔 Intelligent Domestications 🍔 It Is a Keeper 🍔 Jolene’s Recipe Journal 🍔 Jonesin For Taste 🍔 Juggling Act Mama 🍔 Karen’s Kitchen Stories 🍔 Kate’s Recipe Box 🍔 Krazy Kitchen Mom 🍔 Life Anchored 🍔 Life of a Ginger 🍔 Mildly Meandering 🍔 Miss in the KItchen 🍔 Palatable Pastime 🍔 Pastry Chef Online 🍔 Perspective Portions 🍔 Plowing Through Life 🍔 PNW Eats 🍔 Pook’s Pantry 🍔 Real Life With Dad 🍔 Sarah’s Cucina Bella 🍔 Seduction In The Kitchen 🍔 Simple and Savory 🍔 Souffle Bombay 🍔 Spiced 🍔 Spoonabilities 🍔 Strawberry Blondie Kitchen 🍔 SueBee Homemaker 🍔 Sumptuous Spoonfuls 🍔 Sweet ReciPeas 🍔 Swirls of Flavor 🍔 Take Two Tapas 🍔 Tampa Cake Girl 🍔 Taste And See 🍔 The Baking Fairy 🍔 The Beard and The Baker 🍔 The Complete Savorist 🍔 The Crumby Kitchen 🍔 The Heritage Cookbook Project 🍔 The Keto Guy 🍔 The Redhead Baker 🍔 The Rowdy Baker 🍔 The Schmidty Wife 🍔 The Shirley Journey 🍔 The Spiffy Cookie 🍔 This Farm Girl Cooks 🍔 Thyme for Cocktails 🍔 We are not Martha 🍔 Well Fed Baker 🍔 West Via Midwest 🍔 Who Needs A Cape? 🍔 Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen 🍔 Wok & Skillet 🍔
Remember to pin for later!
I originally shared this recipe as Loaded Burgers on the Sunday Supper Movement site where I am a contributor.
A huge thanks to the #BurgerMonth sponsors for the Ultimate Burger Grilling Giveaway: Cabot Cheese, Char-Griller Grills, Crow Canyon Home, Porter Road, Melissas Produce, Red Duck, Spiceology, & Western BBQ