These caprese eggplant roll ups are easy to make and make a delicious appetizer or snack. Great fresh flavors, gooey cheese – what could be better?
If you are a regular, you might remember I mentioned it was grilled cheese month when I shared my ‘jammin’ Jamaican’ chicken grilled cheese not too long ago. Well, you can never get enough cheese, right? Especially when it’s gooey and melty.
These caprese grilled eggplant roll ups have no bread and they’re not really a sandwich. But it has gooey cheese, it’s grilled and it’s all delicious, so that’s all that really matters.
I mentioned when I shared my romesco bacon grilled cheese a while ago that grilled cheese doesn’t have the same popularity in the UK. However I am from a family of cheese lovers, so any excuse to have some cheese is a good one. My son will often ask for grilled cheese for lunch, and I completely understand why he likes it.
I’ve made a few delicious twists on the theme, like the ones above and my ‘green Greek’ grilled cheese. I debated making another more classic sandwich for this event, but then I got sidetracked by my grilled eggplant roll ups idea. But believe me, they’re worth the diversion.
How to make caprese eggplant roll ups
These are so easy and quick to make, as all you do is slice everything up, grill the eggplant/aubergine then once it’s almost done, add the cheese, tomato and basil on top. Let it cook a minute more before carefully taking the slices off the heat.
You will get a bit of liquid coming out from the tomato/cheese, so just drain that off a little as you roll them up and pin them together with a cocktail stick.
See just how easy these are to make in this short video:
These caprese grilled eggplant roll ups make a great snack or you can have a few of them for lunch, plus they’d look great on any appetizer table. The cheese loses it’s gooey appeal as it cools, but the flavors are still great so they work well warm or room temperature. Fresh and summery, and naturally gluten free being bread-less, they’re a great snack-like alternative grilled cheese.
Caprese grilled eggplant roll ups
- 1 eggplant aubergine, small/medium
- 4 oz mozzarella 115g, approx
- 1 tomato large
- 2 basil leaves or a little more as needed
- good quality olive oil
- Make sure your knife is sharp before starting. Cut the end off the eggplant then cut it int thin slices, around 0.1in/0.25cm thick lengthwise. Discard the smaller pieces that are mainly skin and not as long from either side.
- Slice the mozzarella and tomato very thinly as well. Shred the basil leaves thinly.
- Warm a griddle pan and lightly brush the eggplant slices with olive oil. Alternatively, drizzle on a little and quickly rub over before it is absorbed. Place the eggplant slices on the pan and grill for a couple minutes each side . They should soften and have light grill marks. As the second side is almost done, add a larger piece of mozzarella in the thick part of the eggplant slice. Top it with a slice of tomato, and add a smaller piece of mozzarella at the thiner end. Sprinkle over a couple pieces of basil and drizzle a little olive oil and a couple grinds of black pepper, if you like. Let it cook fir a minute more then carefully remove from the pan. There will be a bit of liquid comes out from the tomato and cheese so let it drain off.
- Roll the eggplant from the thiner end, which has only the cheese. You probably won't get it to roll completely, but once it's close, hold together with a cocktail stick. Serve warm (better) or room temperature.
Try these other cheesy bite-sized appetizers:
See all the other grilled cheese being shared today:
Not You Average ‘Wiches
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
Protein Filled ‘Wiches
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- How to Make Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Sweet and Savory ‘Wiches
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
Veggie Loaded ‘Wiches
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Remember to pin for later!