Forget about fighting over the dips and chips, these hot phyllo crab cups are the perfect bite-sized appetizer. So easy to make, so delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I'm not really one to make dips all that much, I think partly as I wasn't particularly brought up with them. I do still like some, but I think I always find it a bit annoying having to stretch over to get another handful or having to hover at the appetizer table to get more than a bite. Putting a dollop on your plate never quite seems to work.
These hot phyllo crab cups are the perfect solution. They're like hot crab dip in perfect bite-sized portions. So you can just pile a few on your plate and have them all to yourself.
How to make this easy appetizer
These hot phyllo crab cups are really easy to make as you simply mix together the filling of cheese, a little sour cream, lemon juice, crab and paprika and mix together. Load it into the phyllo cups and top with a little parmesan. Bake until they are gently golden and enjoy.
See how easy they are to make in the video!
Today's Fish Friday Foodies theme is all about pies, in any shape or form, so I decided to bring these along as a mini take on the theme. After all, there are plenty of football games and other reasons coming up where these appetizers would be perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing all the other ideas - see more below.
These hot phyllo crab cups are a fantastic mix of cheese, crab and with just enough lemon and paprika to give it a little something. The mix of crisp pastry and soft filling is perfect, you'll be wondering why you tried to balance dip on that chip all that time.
Try these other warm seafood appetizers:
- New England stuffed clams
- Scallops with cranberry bacon jam
- Oysters Rockefeller
- Shrimp shumai
- Plus get more appetizer recipes in the archives.
Hot phyllo crab cups
- 2 tablespoon neufchatel cheese (you can use cream cheese but neufchatel is lower fat and tastes great)
- ½ tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup crab meat 4tbsp (approx ½ small can/tin)
- 2 tablespoon grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 box phyllo cups
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C and lay the phyllo shells on a baking sheet (or you can sit them in a small muffin tin).
- Mix together the neufchatel cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, crab meat, mozzarella and cayenne pepper until blended.
- Spoon enough of the mixture in to the phyllo cups until almost to the top.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over the top and bake until the tops are just starting to brown, around 15-20min.
- Best served warm.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
See these other pie-inspired seafood dishes:
- Smoked salmon, dill and horseradish tartlets from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Scallop, goat cheese and leek egg pie from Faith, Hope Love and Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Cheesy Shrimp Spinach Filo Pie from Food Lust People Love