I’m pretty sure I’ve admitted before, that cauliflower isn’t, in all honesty, something I will seek out. But I can be pleasantly surprised by it now and then and that was exactly the case with these roasted cauliflower steaks with salsa verde. The cauliflower is meltingly tender and the salsa verde’s sharp-savory flavor goes perfectly. It makes a great main or side.
I think my main issue with cauliflower is I find it a bit bland, and since it normally either appears raw in crudité plates or boiled as a side, it’s not surprising. Unlike some other vegetables which have a ton of flavor and need very little preparation, I think cauliflower needs a bit of help.
On the flipside, it means it is great at taking on flavors. Whether it’s spicy, herby or citrusy, cauliflower can take them all and is usually much better for it. I know when I shared my roasted cauliflower and eggplant salad, the citrus-herb dressing really transformed it.
Then there’s the more recent trend of using cauliflower as a low carb alternative to rice and wheat. I’ve still to try cauliflower bread and pizza dough, but I have got to say I loved both the cauliflower risotto and Greek-style cauliflower rice salad I made earlier in the year.
For today, I wanted to try something different that I was intrigued to try: cauliflower steaks. After looking around at ideas, I decided that the flavors of salsa verde (the Italian one with capers rather than the Mexican tomatillo salsa verde) would be a great match. I used this recipe as inspiration and used the salsa verde I previously served with sea bass.
The cauliflower steaks become meltingly tender and the flavors in salsa verde go so well to make either a tasty side or a main in itself. It’s easy to make and definitely one to add to my ‘cauliflower isn’t really that boring after all’ list. We’ll be having it again and you should definitely give it a try.
Roasted cauliflower steaks with salsa verde
- 1/2 cauliflower see prep notes below
- 1 tbsp butter 15g (can be replaced with olive oil for vegan version)
- 1/2 lemon zest
- salt and pepper
For salsa verde
- 3 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp capers
- 3 anchovy fillets (can be omitted for vegan/vegetarian version)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Cut the base off the cauliflower so that it sits more or less flat. Next, cut the cauliflower in half through the middle of the core, all the way through. Cut a slice around 1 - 1.5 in/2.5 - 4 cm thick from each half right the way through from each half so you get two flat 'steaks'. Keep the florets you have cut off for something else eg one of the cauliflower rice recipes listed above.
- Warm 1/2tbsp butter over a medium heat in a small to medium skillet/frying pan that fits both of the cauliflower steaks in lying flat. Add the cauliflower and cook a couple minutes on each side so that it becomes nicely browned. Add the lemon zest and some salt and pepper as it cooks. Add the additional butter in places that seem short on butter so that all of the edges being cooked are coated to help it brown. Turn as needed to brown on both sides.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and allow to cook for around 10 minutes, or possibly a little longer, until the cauliflower is completely tender.
For the salsa verde
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, finely chop the parsley, capers, anchovies and garlic together until they are very fine and mixed.
- Put all into a small bowl and add the mustard, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well so they are well combined and serve over the cooked cauliflower steaks (you probably won't need all of it).
Try these other delicious ways with roasted vegetables:
See all the cauliflower recipes being shared today:
Creative Cauliflower Starters and Sides
- Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cauliflower Bacon Gratin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Cauliflower Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Loaded Smashed Cauliflower Bites by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Roasted Bacon Tomato Cauliflower by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Nachos by Simple and Savory
Make My Cauliflower a Main Dish
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice Pilaf With Ground Beef & Cabbage by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Oven Baked Honey Soy Sesame Cauliflower by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Roasted Cauliflower and Vegetable Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Salsa Verde by Caroline’s Cooking
- Salmon with Creamy Cauliflower Farro by Cooking Chat
- Shrimp Stir Fry with Cauli Rice by Our Good Life
- Spicy Cauliflower Tacos by Pies and Plots
Remember to pin for later!