This vegan lentil salad combines earthy lentils with flavorful roasted Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and grapes. It’s incredibly easy to make and so versatile in how you enjoy it. Healthy delicious.
There have been a few times in the last year or two that I have had lentils and remind myself I really should make them more often. They’re as easy as rice to cook and very versatile in how you use them.
A recent favorite is my baked swordfish and asparagus with lentils and chermoula, based on something we had in a local restaurant. But I’ve also made used them in simple salads like my French lentil salad with feta and French lentil salad Nicoise-style.
Now we’re getting Brussels sprouts in our veg box and in the store, it’s reminded me to make more of this often un-loved veg. They make a great slaw in my sweet potato tacos and my bacon and Brussels sprouts soup is so tasty too, but I also love them roasted.
Put the two ideas together and I came up with this vegan lentil salad with roasted Brussels sprouts. It’s really easy to make and is a tasty combination of earthy flavors with just that touch of sweet from the grapes.
I think it’s fair to say that “if in doubt, roast” is a great motto for many foods. It’s a cooking method that’s both easy and brings out the flavor and works with so many things. Here I’ve roasted some Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and grapes, all of which are better for it.
How to make this vegan lentil salad
While roasting is maybe longer than some other cooking methods, it’s hands off cooking. And here it’s made a little quicker given the Brussels sprouts and mushrooms are sliced up. All you do is:
- Slice the Brussels sprouts and mushrooms.
- Toss them and the grapes with a simple balsamic dressing and roast.
- Meanwhile, bring the lentils to a boil and simmer until tender.
- Combine the roasted veg and grapes with the cooked drained lentils and almonds then serve.
I like this salad served warm, but it’s also robust enough to work well cold, such as in a lunch box. You can have it on it’s own as a main or serve it as a side – there’s enough going on there to be interesting but not so much to dominate your plate.
This vegan lentil salad with roasted Brussels sprouts is an easy and tasty dish that’s perfect for so many different occasions. Earthy flavors that work so well, it’s a healthy, hearty plate (or bowl) of goodness.
vegan lentil salad with roasted Brussels sprouts
- 6 oz Brussels sprouts 225g
- 4 oz mushrooms 115g
- 4 oz grapes 115g
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup green lentils 95g
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Trim the end off the Brussels sprouts and peel off any tough/damaged outer leaves. Thinly slice them through the core (ie top to bottom).
- Slice the mushrooms into medium slices (roughly 4 per mushroom, depending on size. Put the Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and grapes on a sheet pan in a single layer. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Blend together the oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard and drizzle it over the vegetables and grapes. Toss them together then roast for approximately 20 minutes. The Brussels sprouts should be tender and starting to brown, and the mushrooms slightly drying.
- Meanwhile, boil the lentils according to packet instructions. Generally this means covering with plenty water, bringing to a boil and simmering for approximately 20 minutes. The lentils should be tender but try not to overcook as they will go mushy. Drain and set aside.
- Once the lentils and vegetables are cooked, combine them along with the sliced almonds. Serve either warm or room temperature. Note, if it seems dry make up a little extra dressing and drizzle over.
Remember to pin for later!