As cooler weather approaches, there’s nothing quite like a warm, spiced drink to help you feel warmer inside. This spiked mulled apple cider is sure to give you the warm and fuzzies. Thanks to the Appleweek sponsors for providing products to aid recipe creation and items for the giveaway.
Much as I love warmer weather, I am also pretty happy when it starts to get cooler. It seems to run in the family, as my elder son has already been asking to be able to have hot chocolate again.
When I lived in New York many years ago, my parents came to visit over the holidays. It was their first visit there, so naturally we tried to pack in plenty of sightseeing.
However, some days were bitterly cold, and I distinctly remember warming up with a cup of warm apple cider in the cafe by the lake in Central Park. It was exactly what we all needed.
While that time we didn’t opt for a spiked version, I definitely enjoy it both ways. Spiked mulled apple cider makes such a comforting, simple fall/winter cocktail that’s perfect whether you are enjoying it yourself on a cold winter’s night, or sharing with others at a party. It’s easy to scale the recipe up or down to meet your needs, and you can change the spirit you use to suit your tastes as well.
Spiked Mulled Apple Cider Recipe Tips
This isn’t a difficult drink to make, but here are a few tips:
- don’t rush it – the flavors from the spices need time to evolve, so don’t rush it.
- use a few different whole spices rather than a ready-made blend. Whole spices save you getting bits of spice residue in your drink and each spice adds a different flavor which you can adjust to taste. (The Spice House has a great range to choose from)
- use a good apple juice as a base. This drink is all about the apple, so try to get an unfiltered apple cider/juice as a base. Try to avoid juice from concentrate, it’s just not the same.
- spike it with a spirit that pairs well with apples such as brandy, apple brandy, rum, or spiced rum.
This spiked mulled apple cider is gently spiced, packed with apple flavor and just enough spirit (if you choose to use some) to give it that little kick. It’s the perfect easy cocktail recipe to warm you through and through!
This spiked mulled apple cider is wonderfully warming and perfect for a cold day. With a little kick, too, if you choose to go the spiked route!
- 4 cups apple cider / unfiltered apple juice 950ml (1 quart)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 strips orange peel
- 4 oz brandy 120 ml, or apple brandy, rum, spiced rum
Put all of the ingredients except the rum in a small pan and warm over a low heat. Gently bring to almost a simmer and warm for approx 30 minutes without boiling.
Put 1 oz of brandy in the bottom of 4 glasses and top each up with the warm cider, straining off the spices and orange peel as you go. Serve warm.
Note - you can also prepare this in the slow cooker - instead of putting everything apart form the rum in a pot, place all in a slow cooker and warm on low for approximately 2 - 4 hours, as suits. Then serve as above, putting the brandy in the bottom of the glasses as you serve.
This post is being shared as part of Appleweek 2018 – unfortunately the giveaway is now closed but you can still try all these other tasty apple recipes:
- Apple & Red Cabbage Slow-Cooker Sauerkraut by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Apple Butter-Glazed Chicken Wings by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Apple Cherry Jam Cookies by The Monday Box
- Apple Cinnamon Cake by Girl Abroad
- Cheddar Chicken Tacos with Apple Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cider Donuts by House of Nash Eats
- Apple Cider Mules by The Redhead Baker
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Apple Fritters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins by Books n’ Cooks
- Apple Pandowdy by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Pecan Chicken Salad by Cookaholic Wife
- Apple Spice Poke Cake by Jonesin’ for Taste
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts by Everyday Eileen
- Baked Cinnamon Apples by The Anthony Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Pie Party Mix by Lemon Blossoms
- Chicken with Apple, Onion, and Cider Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cinnamon Apple Fritters by The Freshman Cook
- Chipotle Turkey, Apple, & Sweet Potato Chili by Savory Moments
- Harvest Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Love and Confections
- Herby Ginger Apple Compote by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Individual Skillet Apple Pies by Family Around the Table
- Instant Pot Quick Oats with Apples, Walnuts and Honey by 4 Sons R Us
- Japanese Beef Curry (Kare Raisu) by Palatable Pastime
- Kielbasa, Apple, Bacon, Sweet Potato Skillet Meal by Tip Garden
- Mini Apple Crisp Baked Apples by Cooking With Carlee
- New England Apple Cake by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Salted Caramel Apple Cinnamon Turnovers by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chai Apple Butter by Mildly Meandering
- Spiked Mulled Apple Cider by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Stuffed Apples with Homemade Sausage and Rice by Our Good Life
Disclaimer: Thank you AppleWeek Sponsors: Swiss Diamond, Nordic Ware, Envy Apples, Imperial Sugar, The Spice House, Rodelle Vanilla, Flahavan’s Irish Oats and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The AppleWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The AppleWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the AppleWeek posts or entry.
Remember to pin for later!