As cooler weather approaches, there’s nothing quite like a warm, spiced drink to help you feel warmer inside. This spiked mulled apple cider is sure to give you the warm and fuzzies.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Much as I love warmer weather, I am also pretty happy when it starts to get cooler. It seems to run in the family, as my elder son has already been asking to be able to have hot chocolate again.
When I lived in New York many years ago, my parents came to visit over the holidays. They hadn’t visited before, so naturally we tried to pack in plenty of sightseeing.
However, some days were bitterly cold, and I distinctly remember warming up with a cup of warm apple cider in the cafe by the lake in Central Park. It was exactly what we all needed.
While that time we didn’t opt for a spiked version, I definitely enjoy it both ways. Spiked mulled apple cider makes such a comforting, simple fall/winter cocktail that’s perfect whether you are enjoying it yourself on a cold winter’s night, or sharing with others at a party.
It’s easy to scale the recipe up or down to meet your needs, and you can change the spirit you use to suit your tastes as well.
Spiked Mulled Apple Cider Recipe Tips
This isn’t a difficult drink to make, but here are a few tips:
- don’t rush it – the flavors from the spices need time to evolve, so don’t rush it.
- use a few different whole spices rather than a ready-made blend. Whole spices save you getting bits of spice residue in your drink and each spice adds a different flavor which you can adjust to taste.
- use a good apple juice as a base. This drink is all about the apple, so try to get an unfiltered apple cider/juice as a base. Try to avoid juice from concentrate, it’s just not the same.
- spike it with a spirit that pairs well with apples such as brandy, apple brandy, rum, or spiced rum.
This spiked mulled apple cider is gently spiced, packed with apple flavor and just enough spirit (if you choose to use some) to give it that little kick. It’s the perfect easy cocktail recipe to warm you through and through!
Looking for more seasonal drinks? Try these:
- Cranberry whiskey sour
- Persimmon apple cider mimosa
- Cranberry sangria
- “Falling for orange”- amaro pumpkin cocktail
- Plus get more cocktail recipes in the archives
Spiked mulled apple cider
- 4 cups apple cider / unfiltered apple juice 950ml (1 quart)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 strips orange peel
- 4 oz brandy 120 ml, or apple brandy, rum, spiced rum
- Put all of the ingredients except the rum in a small pan and warm over a low heat. Gently bring to almost a simmer and warm for approx 30 minutes without boiling.
- Put 1 oz of brandy in the bottom of 4 glasses and top each up with the warm cider, straining off the spices and orange peel as you go. Serve warm.
I first shared the recipe for spiked mulled cider on the Sunday Supper Movement site where I am a contributor.
And if you’re looking for more apple recipes, here are a few savory and sweet ideas:
Apple & Red Cabbage Slow-Cooker Sauerkraut by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
Apple Butter-Glazed Chicken Wings by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
Cheddar Chicken Tacos with Apple Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Chicken with Apple, Onion, and Cider Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Japanese Beef Curry (Kare Raisu) by Palatable Pastime
Chipotle Turkey, Apple, & Sweet Potato Chili by Savory Moments
Harvest Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Love and Confections
Baked Cinnamon Apples by The Anthony Kitchen
Apple Spice Poke Cake by Jonesin’ for Taste
Salted Caramel Apple Cinnamon Turnovers by Daily Dish Recipes
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Remember to pin for later!
Disclaimer: Thank you AppleWeek Sponsors: Swiss Diamond, Nordic Ware, Envy Apples, Imperial Sugar, The Spice House, Rodelle Vanilla, Flahavan’s Irish Oats and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.
The AppleWeek giveaway is now closed but was open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The AppleWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the AppleWeek posts or entry.