Whether you’re a pumpkin fan or not, these chocolate pumpkin pastry twists are sure to be a hit. A deliciously simple combination with a bit of sweet, a bit of spice, crisp pastry and soft filling. So good.
It’s pumpkin season, and I have to say we are loving it. I know some people find it all a bit much, and I admit I find the whole pumpkin spice everything a bit over the top. But REAL pumpkin, now that’s something different.
My eldest son got super excited when he first say pumpkins in the supermarket a couple weeks ago and nagged me to get one. In fairness, it didn’t take much nagging.
In the past, many of my pumpkin creations have been more savory, like pumpkin arancini (risotto balls), pumpkin gnocchi and pumpkin broccoli soup. But I have gone down the sweet line too with the chocolate chip and pumpkin empanadas I made last year.
These chocolate pumpkin pastry twists take a bit of inspiration from those empanadas but are so incredibly easy to make.
I made them one day while my son was in school and we shared some with his teachers. They were an instant hit with everyone, even my husband who is not always that big in to sweeter things.
I say sweet, but actually these aren’t over-the-top sweet, relying mainly on the chocolate. But it’s definitely enough, especially with the tasty mix of textures.
How to make chocolate pumpkin pastry twists
As you’ll have seen in the video above, all you do is mix together some pumpkin puree, mascarpone, maple syrup and cinnamon. Then divide up some puff pastry into strips and top each with some of the pumpkin mixture. Dot on some chocolate chips and twist them up. Transfer to a baking sheet and brush with egg wash then bake.
See just how easy they are to make in this short video:
Gently sweet spiced pumpkin, gooey chocolate and crisp pastry, these chocolate pumpkin pastry twists have so much going for them with so little effort. They’re the perfect, easy treat for fall and I know we’ll definitely be making them again soon.
Want other ideas for those chocolate chips? Try these!
- Oatmeal chocolate chip skillet cookie
- Individual pear galette
- Peanut butter banana ice cream with chocolate chips.
Chocolate pumpkin pastry twists
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree 63g
- 1 tbsp mascarpone
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg for egg wash (won't use all)
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg for egg wash (won't need all)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C and line a medium baking sheet/tray.
- Blend together the pumpkin puree, mascarpone, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Cut the pastry into strips about 1in/2.5cm thick. Spread some of the pumpkin mixture on each strip of pastry so there is a thin layer across the top. Dot the top of each strip with chocolate chips then carefully twist each strip so the pastry holds the filling inside it in a twist (see pics above).
- Transfer the strips to the baking sheet/tray and brush the top with egg wash. Bake for approx 15 minutes until golden brown on top. Allow them to cool a couple minutes before serving so the pastry can firm up a bit.
See all the other pumpkin ideas being shared today:
Meals, Sides, and Snacks
- Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Miso Broth with Roast Pumpkin and Noodles by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Walnut Streusel by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Kugel by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Monkey Bread Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pumpkin Mug Muffin by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Shrub by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Rolls by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Roasted Pumpkin Apple Bacon Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Savory Pumpkin with Red Onion Garlic and Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- No Bake Paleo Pumpkin Bites by Bites of Wellness
- Pumpkin Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Pumpkin Hand Pies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pumpkin Pot Au Creme by Cooking On The Ranch
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies by Sunday Supper Movement
Remember to pin for later!