Super simple, highly adaptable and festively colored, this spinach pomegranate salad makes a great side or appetizer. It takes no time to make, and you’ll love the bright, fresh flavors.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Lets face it, many traditional Holiday dishes are incredibly heavy and filling. Don’t get me wrong, I love turkey with all the trimmings, but it’s definitely not everyday food. I know there’s many a household that either has a nap or goes for a bit of a walk after their Holiday meal to recover (or both!).
However you can try to lighten things up a little by adding in the odd healthier and less heavy dishes to your meal, and this pomegranate spinach salad is perfect for that. It’s incredibly easy to make, so you’re not using lots of precious time, but it fits in so well with everything else.
How to make this simple side salad
This salad is a simple mix of spinach, shaved fennel and pomegranate that are great, seasonal ingredients that go well together flavor-wise. It helps they are festively-colored as well. The light orange dressing shakes up in a second and brings all the flavors together.
All you do is:
- Put the spinach in the bottom of a bowl (or bowls).
- Thinly slice/shave the fennel and put over the top.
- Top with pomegranate.
- Shake or whisk together the dressing and pour over.
How to adapt this spinach pomegranate salad
You can easily adapt this basic salad recipe if you’d like more in there. For example, try adding:
- strawberries (to be a cross with my strawberry spinach feta salad)
- thin slices of pear or apple
- candied pecans (as I used in my pear gorgonzola salad)
- some crunchy pepitas.
It’s fun to play around with, though I do suggest you keep it relatively simple.
Despite just a small list of ingredients, this spinach pomegranate salad has so much going for it. It’s got crunch, a little sweetness and don’t forget those bites of pomegranate popping on your tongue. It’s light, fresh and adaptable – in other words perfect for entertaining or on your festive table.
Looking for more seasonal salads? Try these!
- Beet and blood orange salad
- Winter fattoush salad
- Vegan lentil salad with roasted Brussels sprouts
- Radicchio salad with roasted grapes
- Plus get more inspiration for side dishes and winter recipes in the archives.
Spinach pomegranate salad
- 3 cups baby spinach (2 large handfuls)
- 1 ½ cups shaved fennel 1 small bulb
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup orange juice 60ml
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey (or maple syrup)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Toss the spinach leaves and shaved fennel together then add the pomegranate on top.
- Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake to mix then pour over the salad and serve.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
Try all these tasty holiday side dish recipes:
- Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Ambrosia Salad from Daily Dish Recipes
- Five-Ingredient Bacon-Ranch Creamed Corn from The Weekend Gourmet
- Mashed Potato Casserole from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples from Sweet Beginnings
- Roasted Buffalo Broccoli and Cauliflower from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Seasoned Rice from A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Tangerine Beet Goat Cheese Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole from The Baking Fairy
I first shared this recipe for spinach pomegranate salad on the Sunday Supper Movement site where I am a contributor.
Remember to pin for later!