This blueberry lemonade is a brightly colored and subtly flavored twist on classic lemonade. It’s easy to make and bound to be the star of your summer drinks table.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
We’ve become pretty big fans of homemade lemonade this year. Not that we weren’t before, but we seem to have made more this year. Watermelon lemonade is still a favorite, and we love the freshness of mint lemonade, but this blueberry version is right up there in the prettiness stakes.
I mean, isn’t that beautiful color just wonderful?
The bright color is partly due to the combination of blueberry and lemons – the acid turns the usually dark hue a bright magenta (in much the same way as cooking braised red cabbage due to the apple and vinegar).
Despite the fact you need to add some sugar to get past the tartness of the lemons (and you could substitute other sweeteners), this otherwise packs a good doze of vitamins and antioxidants.
Plus while I know this goes back in to less healthy territory, but I think this would make a pretty amazing cocktail too. Maybe add a little vodka or rum? I’d imagine there are a few options.
First, though, back to this blueberry lemonade. I’ll admit, this has a slight extra step compared to some other lemonades. With most, you simply squeeze the lemons, mix with sugar and water then that’s it. Sometimes you’ll make a simple syrup to help the sugar dissolve better, but it’s not strictly necessary.
Using fruits like watermelon and papaya, as I’ve done before, are pretty easy to add in as they just need blended up, but blending blueberries doesn’t get the best from them. For one, the color sits in the skin and doesn’t come out all that much just muddling or blending (as in my blueberry cocktail). So heating them first helps release the color and the flavor too.
The easiest way to do this is to make a blueberry simple syrup. It’s simply blueberries, sugar and water, warmed together until the berries pop. Then strain the mixture to remove the skins and seeds.
You can make the syrup ahead, as suits, plus just use as much as you need, keeping the rest for another time. The syrup would also be great for cocktails, and I can definitely see some experimenting needed there.
How to make blueberry lemonade
- Simmer blueberries, sugar and a little water together until blueberries pop.
- Strain the mixture and allow the syrup to cool.
- Mix together the blueberry syrup, lemon juice and water then serve over ice.
The blueberry flavor may be subtle, but the color certainly isn’t. Which to me is as good a reason as any to make this blueberry lemonade soon to brighten you up and cool you down on a warm day.
Looking for more refreshing drinks for the summer? Try these!
- Agua de jamaica (hibiscus tea)
- Cantaloupe agua fresca
- Papaya lemonade
- Coconut watermelon agua fresca
- Plus get lots more ideas in the drinks recipes archives.
For blueberry syrup
- 1/2 cup blueberries 75g
- 1/4 cup sugar 52g, 4tbsp (possibly more to taste)
- 1/4 cup water 60ml
For rest of lemonade
- 3/4 cup lemon juice 180ml
- 4 1/2 cups water 1080ml
- Put the blueberries, sugar and 1/4 cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the blueberries pop and the color is bright. Strain through a fine strainer/sieve or cheesecloth and set aside to cool. Can be make ahead.
- Add the lemon juice and water to the blueberry syrup and blend until well combined. Chill until needed.
- Gently stir before serving over ice - you can add some blueberries for garnish as well.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
See all the other blueberry recipes being shared today for Blueberry Week (to celebrate National Blueberry Month):
- Blueberry Sourdough Coffee Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blueberry Pomegranate Cucumber Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry, Honey, and Goat Cheese Naan Pizza by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Blueberry Cheesecake Bars by Cookaholic Wife
- Blueberry Skillet Cookie by Crumb Top Baking
- Blueberry Pie Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blueberry Buckle by Savory Moments
- No-Bake Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Tart by Sweet Beginnings
- Roasted Blueberry Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Vegan Blueberry Coconut Pie by The Baking Fairy
- Blueberry Lemon Curd Dessert Egg Rolls by The Freshman Cook
Remember to pin for later!